Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving

When my oldest sister got married19.5 years ago a cycle was set up such that she switched off spending Christmas and Thanksgiving each year between our family and her in-laws (one with each family.) It was another 7 years before any of my other sisters got married, but when my next sister got married her husband's family didn't have a plan for holidays really established so they just went along with the same plan as my oldest sister, spending the same Christmas's and Thanksgiving's with us as she did. All 7 of us have kept the plan since then. None of the families we have married into had established plans already so there have never been any issues. Well, this year is an in-law Thanksgiving and my family's Christmas. So we were with Ryan's family for Thanksgiving in Grapevine.
Ryan and I started out the day with a run (I am not a runner and hate running, but we figured we needed to do something active if we were going to spend the day eating and sitting around.) After we'd gotten ourselves ready we loaded all the food I prepared the day before and headed to Grapevine. We had an enjoyable day. We ate (of course), played crouqet, went on a walk, watched some football, played some card games, looked through ads, and just spent time together. It was a good day and I was grateful for Ryan's great family and all their kindnesses to me.


Some of our pies: Top - apple pie made by Ryan's mom, center - pecan pie made by me (it was Ryan's aunt's recipe and it was amazing), bottom - pumpkin pie, from Central Market. I also made refrigerator cake (a family recipe created by my grandma - yum.)

No comments: