Monday, December 8, 2008

Bethlehem Revisited

So Saturday night we enjoyed our latest Christmas adventure. I guess every year the town of Waxahachie puts on what they call Bethlehem Revisited. I have never heard of it before but we decided to go this year and I am so glad we did - so worth the drive. They have set up this whole fake city enclosed in a city wall. Inside there are all these people in character, fully playing their roles. There are tax collectors, money changers, Roman soldiers, tons of different types of merchants, inn keepers, etc. Every half hour they have Mary and Joseph come through the city, with Mary riding the most adorable donkey. They talk withe inn keepers not just reading the Bible story but actually having conversations. They are eventually led to the stable where Jesus is born. They have 3 live camels that are really nice looking. Wise men accompanied by a group of people. Shepherds with sheep. All of them asking along the way how to find the Messiah. It was super impressive. We were there for at least an hour. It is free, too, though they accept donations. I so recommend going. They make flaxen and let you feel it, pick seeds out of cotton and let you feel that, have wool to feel and furs, herbs and oils to smell, scarves and turbans to try on, chickens for "sale", the tax collectors encourage you to pay your taxes and the soldiers praise Caesar. The only thing is that I would recommend eating before going to Waxahachie as restaurants are limited. But go, you won't be disappointed.

10 comments:

Bingham Bunch said...

Fun!! We definitely like free and what a neat experience.

Leanne said...

That sounds really great. We are going to have to look into it. Can you send info?

Ang said...

That's really kind of fun. Emma would love to see something like that. I'm glad you found our blog... check in any time!!! Hope things are well in Texas.
Things here in MO are CoLd!!! Take care. It's fun to see what you've been up to! -Matt and Angeline Coleman

Shelley said...

Wow! That looks so fun! Sounds like there is plenty to do this season where you are. I hope you do come visit us in New Orleans. We would love to see you!

Melanie said...

I need your address so I can send a Christmas card. can you email me at rmballfam@hotmail.com

Dave, Lisa, Summer and Jace said...

Thats sounds like a fun thing to go and see. It was so fun to talk to you on the phone the other night. Sorry the connection was bad. We'll have to try it with a regular phone sometime. Anyway hope you guys have a great christmas.

Love ya,

a.k.a. Jack said...

I wish I could have gone with you guys to all these cool Christmas things. I will have to research things like that next year. What a good plan.

Amy Pennington said...

oh how neat...we will have to go there next year! happy new year!

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Hey Amanda, I am so glad we can peek into your life with your blogs :)
We'll have to swap addresses eventually for Christmas cards too:)