Friday, October 10, 2008

Savannah - October 2007

So, during my fourth year of gradaute school I finally needed to present some of my research at a professional conference. Although this is probably an exciting thing for most people, it is not the case for me. It is not like it was a huge deal, I didn't have to give a speach or anything, it was just a poster presentation which means you take a poster where you have displayed the results of your research into a room with a 100-200 other such posters and stand by it while people walk around, look at these posters and if they find your poster particularly interesting they stop and ask you questions about it. So being asked questions should be a good thing, you should at least find it flattering. Those who have known me a long time know that I had a public-speaking break down when I was in 8th grade and have spent the rest of my life trying to over-come this phobia. Although I am much better now than I was then (I don't hyperventalate any more so that is progress) I still dread it. Being asked questions was not a good thing for me, I would much rather have had people ignore me and my poster. But anyway, this was my first professional meeting to go to and my first time to Savannah. Ryan didn't get to go with me and I traveled with my office-mate/lab partner and good friend Robyn Baldridge. We had a good time exploring the city while not in the conference. Savannah, what I saw of it, was quite pretty and peacefull, kind of slow paced, what you would imagine it to be like.

On our fligth back I guess they didn't have enough coach-seats because they bumped Robyn and me up to business class - we were more than happy to oblige, probably my one and only time; they had these huge pumpkins outside this one candy store becuase it was Fall - I love pumpkins; Robyn, Nick (this guy that works for this girl that used to be a student of Dr. Stanford - my professor), and me
Posted by Picasa

No comments: