Beth sent email updates throughout to help keep us in the loop. ({times are in NC time, an hour later than Texas} 11:18 - Yulia doing great (she sent a pic), 12:30 - Nap time (pic of Yulia and her sister Taylor sleeping, or trying to), 12:50 - ...contractions, no epidural yet, and not even a peep, 5:35 - Yulia hasn't slept and is actively contracting. She's on some oxygen to give the baby a little boost. Her blood sugar has plummeted, so she's now drinking juice and getting some IV sugar. She's dilated to 7. There is elevated concern about his heart rate. Dr. Brannon is on.his way in. They're inserting an internal monitor. Feeling worried.... Praying!!!!!) So things had been seeming fine, and then they got stressful. We were praying for Yulia, and for the baby. We were wishing we could teleport.
At 6:24 I started getting texts from Yulia's sister, Taylor. -
"Yulia's going into an emergency c-section"
"Oh no. Why?"
"Baby's heart rate. My mom's back with her. I'll keep you posted. My mom won't be able to answer her phone."
"Did they try stopping the epidural?"
"They think the cord is wrapped around his neck."
"Oh no!"
"She lost so much of the amniotic fluid which isn't good so they refilled her to see if that would help and it didn't so they rushed her right back."
"Thanks for the updates."
At 7:09 we received the first picture of our son!!!
"Oh my gosh! When was he born? How is Yulia?"
"6:47 6lbs 15 ounces. She's doing okay."
"Did she look at him or hold him?"
"No, my mom took him right away."
"How's your mom doing?"
"Good"
"He has big eyes!"
"Yes! And lips, and he's very hairy. Haha."
":) Thanks so much for sending pics! We're so sad not to be there."
"I'll keep them coming."
"Perfect!"
"Love the thumb sucking"
"I know! He's rooting around a lot."
"Will they give him a pacifier?"
"Do you want him to have one?"
"If he's unhappy. I've induced lactation so that I can nurse him so better he has as little formula as possible. If a pacifier can help him that would be good."
"Okay :)"
"He's really hungry and Yulia would like him to have breast milk that they have here.'
"I didn't know they had some. That would be awesome!"
"Yeah. They have donor breast milk available."
"Has Yulia seen him then?"
"Yeah, she said she wants to hold him but she feels really bad"
"Bad from the c-section? I'm glad she wants to hold him!"
"Yeah...she's just very shaky and tired and doesn't feel well."
"She needs to sleep."
"I hope she will soon!"
"What is the purpose of the stuff on his eyes? Prevent infection?"
"Yes. They just do it right after they're born."
"Has he had milk yet? Is he sleeping?"
That texting stream took til 9:30. It was so great to get updates. We loved the pics and videos so much. I had a mix of emotions - so excited that he was healthy and Yulia was okay, SO sad that I wasn't there. It was just really hard on me. I was worried about Yulia. I didn't know exactly what would be best for her - to hold him and bond with him and just totally fall in love with him, or keep her distance a little more and guard her heart. Either way it was going to be painful.
We got some more updates from Beth along the way. 12:30 Your little guy's blood sugar fell again from 37 to 36. The hope was that it would be above 45 after the second feeding. So he's been taken to Special Care for testing and observation and assessment for IV fluids. We're waiting for an update...
Otherwise, he's been sleeping peacefully in my arms or looking around the room. Very quiet and peaceful. 2:40 - Yulia's nurse just came in with an update. The baby's blood sugar just tested at 50! So they will test again (I forget how soon) and if he's above 45, they'll bring him out of Special Care and back to the room. How are you and Ryan doing?! You both must be utterly exhausted, too! Have you been able to alternate sleeping and driving okay? I left out some of the emails - mostly personal stuff. Basically, prior to his delivery Yulia felt she wasn't super attached to him. She was excited for us and happy that he would have a good family. After he was born her motherly instinct kicked in - she was in love with him and protective. She started getting scared about having to say goodbye to him. She wasn't prepared for feelings like that. It was really hard on her.
Those are all the written updates we got. I know we got some via phone calls as well, but I don't have a record of them.
We were also communicating with the adoption company as we drove. They told us that they got us a room at the hospital - one Ryan and I could stay in - which I was very excited about and grateful for. But they also communicated issues that were concerning Yulia. Not major things, but they caused us stress. For example, when I mentioned in my text with Taylor that I wanted him to have as little formula as possible it was interpreted that I would prefer he starve until we get there. Also, the hospital was asking Yulia about circumcision. She wanted us to decide, but to give an answer right away. It's not that Ryan and I hadn't talked about it before, but we hadn't come to a decision. But then we felt pressured to do so right away. Again, we started dreading phone calls from the adoption company. I always preferred communication directly with Beth or Yulia. When the adoption company called I always felt like we were getting in trouble. I don't remember all the things that came up. I do remember at one point along our drive saying to Ryan something to the effect of "Some times I really hate adoption." It's just so emotionally draining. You have all your own emotions to deal with plus the birth families, who you love so much.
Anyway, we finally got to the hospital at 6:45 pm.


















No comments:
Post a Comment